Hiking is a great way to burn calories and improve health.
How many calories burned hiking
It depends on your weight, whether you are carrying a backpack and how hilly the terrain is. It’s about 400 an hour on average.
When hiking slow with the speed of 2 mph, an average 150 pounds person burn 240 calories hiking in one hour.
Hiking cross-country burn 410 calories an hour on average, which is 7 calories burned hiking for one minute. But in “count” the activity, an exercise has to be not less than for 10 continuous minutes.
Moderate to hard hiking such as at Squaw Peak, Phoenix, Arizona will make you sweat and burn 700 calories / hour on average.
Hiking downhill? Divide amount of calories burned into two.
Hiking uphill? You are loosing twice as much as you burn calories walking
Eating and drinking while hiking
Here is a list of healthy food tips while hiking. Food must be packed well. Take only food that don’t spoil fast.
Food while hiking
- Dried fruits and nuts
- Fresh fruits
- Beef jerky – excellent source of protein
- Protein power bars
- Tuna fish in foil pouches
- Granola bars
Drinking while hiking
- Drink water only when you are thirsty. Drinking too much is as bad as drinking not enough.
- Vitamin C water drink will boost your energy while hiking
- Any quantity of alcohol is a huge NO when hiking
- Always drink when eat. Especially when you are eating dry foods. You body needs fluids to digest dry meals.
Stay hydrated, explore new things and burn calories hiking!